Mother Seraphine arrived in Graiguecullen in 1893 to found the Poor Clare Monastery. She was distressed to see the poor condition of the Parish Church. From then on a new Parish Church was as dear a project to her heart as a new convent. In 1899 when Mr. Governey in his great generosity, offered her as much ground as she needed, Mother Seraphine was careful to include a site for the future Parish Church as well.
While walking in the Monastery garden, a Church spire attracted her attention. She was told it was St. Anne’s Memorial Church, erected to commemorate the parliamentary victory of the son of the local landlord Mr. Bruen over the son of Daniel O’ Connell – but now unused. Day after day she laid siege to the coveted treasure by prayer, Rosary beads in hand – and if she didn’t move a mountain she certainly, in no small degree, helped to move St. Anne’s Church a mile across the town to become St. Clare’s Parish Church here in Graiguecullen.